Sonntag, 1. Januar 2017

Another Sock Idea - Socks with a Butterfly Pattern

Happy new year to all of you!

Over the holidays I stayed at home a lot - and knitted socks. So here's another idea for knitted socks, however this exact pattern only works with a stitch count that is a multiple of 12. These socks are knitted top down with a heel flap.





Creative Commons License
This work by Knitting and so on is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

As in my last blogpost with a sock idea, this is NOT a complete knitting pattern, but just a sketch or rather a stitch pattern (over 12 stitches and 12 rows) that can be used for socks. So this only works for socks with a number of stitches that is a multiple of 12.
For socks there are many general instructions and tutorials around, I have linked to some in the Techniques section of this post.


Materials
  • about 60 grams of fingering weight yarn - or yarn where a multiple of 12 stitches is big enough to fit around your ankles
  • 3mm knitting needles (I used dpns, but a circular needle works as well with the magic loop method) - or needles where the multiple of 12 stitches fits around your ankles
  • slightly bigger needles for a looser CO
  • a darning needle to weave in ends

Techniques

"Instructions"

With the bigger needles CO 60 stitches and join in round.
With smaller needles start knitting.

Knit 12 rounds of p2k2 ribbing.

Then start with the butterfly pattern (see also chart below):
Round 1: k all
Round 2: * k1, C2B, C2F, k7 repeat from *
Round 3: k all
Round 4: * k1, C2F, C2B, k7 repeat from *
Rounds 5, 6, 7: k all
Round 8: * k7, C2B, C2F, k1 repeat from *
Round 9: k all
Round 10: * k7, C2F, C2B, k1 repeat from *
Round 11, 12: k all

Repeat three times then start heel flap over 30 stitches. Turn the heel. Then knit the gusset while continuing the butterfly pattern in front.

When foot is long enough, do toe decreases and graft leftover stitches with kitchener stitch.

Make two.


This post was featured at the Linky Ladies Community Link Party No. 86. Thank you!

Featured Five Club

12 Kommentare:

  1. thanx muchly! love new stitch patterns! love your 'pattern' style, too! I write mine with the needle and yarn needs, the stitch count and pattern. the rest is optional, according to mood.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you :) I'm a bit like that, too.

      However, in my experience quite a few people need gauge, exact stitch counts and very detailed descriptions. That's why I chose to call this "pattern sketch" or "idea" ...

      Löschen
  2. I am always intimidated by knitting socks, but then I see a gorgeous pair like this and am tempted to give it a go after all!! Nothing worse than cold feet. #handmademonday

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. It took me a while to work myself up to knitting socks, too. But when you've done it once, it'll get easier. Happy knitting!

      Löschen
  3. Your socks look great. Thanks for the tutorial. Planning to knit more socks this year.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you.
      Good plan, handknitted socks are so comfy :)

      Löschen
  4. After my one and only foray into the world of sock making at about 14, when I made one huge sock and gave up, I have been tempted to try again. You make it sound easy - maybe I should put it on my New Years to do list! Thanks for shairng at #HandmadeMonday

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. When I first started knitting socks, I got myself a good tutorial and knitted simple k2p2-ribbing socks. I wanted to concentrate on the difficult bits (heel and toe). The stitch patterns came a bit later ...
      Happy knitting!

      Löschen
  5. Beautfil socks. In December I made my first pair and I know it wasn't the last :-)

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thanks. Sock knitting can become quite addictive ;)

      Löschen